1 pound thick smoked bacon , cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup coffee (brewed)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Great River Maple Syrup
1/4 cup bourbon
1-2 chipotle chilis adobo, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan an over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy. Then set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
- Next add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.
- Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours.
- Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out a bit but not too much as you want to have the texture of the bacon.
- If you do not finish it all in one sitting, store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks